Posted April 11th, 2012
by Nick, who is Crazy for Collards
Staring Tuesday April 10, we will be having on a sale on local collards from Mustard Seed Farms (St. Paul, Washington) for $1.49 per bunch.
2. Turn your burner to medium heat, and sauté onions in skillet (if using garlic, add that after onions are sauteed)
3. Chop collards into 2-3inch strips (if you don’t like stems you can cut them out)
4. With the burner left on med heat, add collards to skillet.
5. Pour porter over collards (start with half the bottle, and add more if needed)
6. When collards become softer and turn a darker green add BBQ sauce ( start with 1/4 cup and see what you think)
7. Turn burner to low, and cover skillet for 5-10 min.
When I make this, I usually make it along side black eyed peas. Recipes for Hoppin’ John or BBQed black eyed peas can be found online or in this great cookbook: VEGAN SOUL KITCHEN by Author/Chef/Activist Bryant Terry.